History, hockey and amalgamation go hand in hand with Applewood Hockey Association. Cawthra Park was established in 1977 with the merger of Cawthra Hockey and Applewood Hockey. The first president was Edo Visentin with immediate past presidents, Dan Stone (Cawthra) and Hal Howard (Applewood). The last president was Myrtle Carson.
In the 1970-1971 hockey season, Cawthra Hockey was formed when Lyndwood Hockey and Lakeview Hockey merged. Games and practices were held on half ice at the Dixie Arena which was located off Dundas Street.
Lakeview Hockey was started by Bill Buss, in the then Toronto Township League, who dedicated his personal time to coach and manage thirteen teams. Applewood honours his memory with the Annual Bill Buss Spring Invitational Tournament. Dixie Hockey was established in 1949 and merged with Burnhamthorpe Hockey in 1951-1952. We have little information on Burnhamthorpe Hockey other than its merger with Dixie Hockey.
There have been a number of players from these associations who continued their hockey into the pro ranks. Tom McCarthy played Novice at Dixie and went on to play for the Minnesota North Stars. For those who grew up in the Dixie area, many may recall the Stanfield brothers, an unusual feat in itself that four brothers played pro hockey. Freddie played for the Chicago Black Hawks and Boston Bruins, Jimmy for the Spokane Chiefs and L.A. Kings, Jackie for the Chicago Black Hawks and then the Dallas/ Houston Aeros and finally, Vic who played in Germany for 13 years.
Applewood’s current President is Mark Zizek.
For more information regarding Applewood Hockey, please visit their website, www.applewoodhockey.on.ca.